Saturday, October 11, 2008

Disaster Averted.

So tonight I wanted to test out a recipe I was considering using at a dinner party. I had a couple of sweet potatoes, and I was going to make Sweet Potato Soup. I got all the ingredients, and spent about an hour making it. It was a little frustrating, since I don't have a food processor or a hand blender (both of which would be an excellent Christmas present) and I had to use the blender. All the stuff barely fit inside and in the process I made a huge mess of my kitchen. Finally, when it was almost ready, I tasted it and it seemed bland. So I added a few spices, and I served it, anxious to see my husband's reaction...
Blech. He hated it. He said it reminded him of when he got his wisdom teeth out (kindly meant, there's a story behind that.) He couldn't even choke it down, and needless to say, I was sad. And what was worse, I didn't like it either. So I was feeling my mother bearing down on me, knowing that she would be disappointed if she knew that I was going to waste the rest of the soup.
But then...
My mother is the QUEEN of using up leftovers. She puts anything and everything into things like rolls, casserole, etc. And most of the time, you can't taste it. One time she made this disgusting bean soup (no offense Mom) that none of my family ate, so she froze it and started slipping it into things the rest of the year. Awesome. So with that in mind, I knew this soup would be a perfect candidate for Leftover Magic.
And 45 minutes later, we were eating some most delicious "pumpkin" chocolate chip muffins. I handed my husband one and said, "Finish your soup."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you for using up your leftovers. Incidentally, sweet potatoes go well in rolls, cakes, breads, etc.

Tracie said...

so did you use the soup in the cookies? I must know.

Kristie said...

sweet. you are a genius - just like your mom.

Jen said...

Very nice! I may be a bad mom, but I usually give our leftovers to Wade. I just stick it in the blender and he'll most likely eat it.

Anonymous said...

Awesome it worked out! I've had some failures, too, but haven't always been able to rescusitate. It's good you didn't add so much salt that they couldn't possibly be a sweet muffin as opposed to savory.
Tip for using the blender (from Barefoot Contessa): Just start blending a small amount at a time, and if veggies are soft enough, feed them little by little through the hole in the top of the lid. If not, just stop the blender, take off the lid, and add more. You might have to dump some of the pureed stuff in another pot if there's just too much.