Saturday, September 6, 2008

Why We're Not Buying a House in Mesa

I found this adorable little new house village near us and I really wanted to go look at them. They were very affordable and brand new. I would love to move into a house. I would love to decorate it and make it feel all homey and have our own place to park and not worry about upstairs neighbors being too loud or maintenance crews not doing their job. I would love to feel like I was an adult, owning something that requires responsibility and maturity. I would love to have a big, new kitchen where our family can hang out and I can cook whatever I want. I want to set up a guest room to entice our family and friends to come visit us more. And of course, I would love the tax write-off.

But after much thought and the blatant realization that we don't have money for a house right now, here are our reasons why we're not buying a house here.

1. The most obvious reason: Not enough money. We have negative income right now since my husband is a student, but it could have been profitable for us to purchase a house since we're paying between 800-900 a month just for rent right now. Still, these houses were a little out of our price range and we're not looking for a fixer-upper right now.

2. We don't want to get tied to a financial obligation right now. The housing market in Arizona is horrid--one of the worst in the nation. Just ask my aunt Wendy who is currently looking for a buyer for a home in Queen Creek. That does not instill much confidence that we would be able to find someone to buy our house once hubs school is done and we move away. I'm NOT staying here forever.

3. With every house comes a bunch of extra financial responsibilities. You have to buy a fridge, and a washer and a dryer and a bunch of furniture to fill up the space. You have to pay taxes every year and pay for repairs and the like. We don't have that money.

4. We don't really have time right now to take care of a house. Although it would be lots of fun, a bigger house means more to clean and a lawn to mow. My husband studies for hours every night and all weekend long and I have a baby to look after, so I think we'll be okay without the extra work.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, Heidi, you keep referring to these relatives and since we're sisters I figure I must be related to them too although maybe Aunt Wendy is Aaron's aunt and that's why I'm so confused. Because I have racked my brain and cannot come up with any Aunt Wendy so who the heck is she?

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

Yes she is Aaron's aunt, but I didn't really feel like saying 'Aaron's aunt.'

Lorana said...

I think you're wise. People get snagged by the romance of home ownership. It IS nice, for the reasons you list, and others, but it's also a challenge. If you ever feel like you're slipping back into wanting a house, just ask Sara how FUN it is to keep a house on the market for months when you need to sell it.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Lorana. You are wise to know and weigh your priorities. Owning a house is no big deal. It’s been five years, any updates by the way? Hope you’re enjoying the amenities of your own house right now.

- Oscar Lang -

Unknown said...

The decision to free yourself from financial obligations during the recession is a very good idea. Since it has been four years, and engaging in a home loan is very advisable today, have you ever thought of buying your house this year? If you do, tell me and I can help you. :)

-^ Nannie Toller ^-

Unknown said...

If you don’t want to get a mortgage for a house, why don’t you try having your own condo or apartment? They’re much cheaper and I think you can also enjoy living there without noisy neighbors. Well, four years has been a long time and I hope you can update me with your recent stand in having your own place. :)

[ Lakisha Zimmerer ]