Saturday, September 6, 2008

Best Apple Pie

I have to document this recipe before the crinkled up, greasy paper that it's written on gets lost or dissolved. This is a VERY popular recipe for perfect apple pie. Even my husband loves it, and he doesn't like pie.

Superb Apple Pie

1 1/2 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup salad oil
2 T. cold milk

Combine flour, sugar, salt, salad oil, and milk. Mix until well blended. Pat in bottom and sides of a pie pan, do not roll out.

Filling
4 c. sliced apples
2 T. flour
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Combine sugar, flour, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Toss lightly with sliced apples. Pour into unbaked pie shell.

Topping
1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. margarine or butter
1/2 c. sugar

Combine flour, margarine, and sugar. Mix together with fingers until crumbly. Sprinkle over top of pie.

Place pie in paper bag and seal. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 30 minutes, no peeking!

Try this recipe...it's so hard to fail. I made some pies from this recipe last year with some pretty old apples that had lost most of their crisp and crunch and they were still very popular!

3 comments:

JoEllen said...

Is there supposed to be sugar in the filling? (you mentioned combining sugar, nutmeg and cinammon...) If so, what's the quantity?

Kristie said...

I want to try this.
What do you think of having a recipe exchange among the women in the family. Every month we- or an assigned leader - choose a theme - then the women email the recipes to that leader and then they compile them and email them out to everyone else. I have some scrumpteous apple recipes. What do you say?- Did you say you want to be the leader? :)

Alice H said...

I LOVE that recipe exchange idea. And is it a special kind of brown bag that you put the pie in? I've never put paper in my oven before and I'm afraid. (its a gas oven) It wouldn't be my first kitchen fire...