Saturday, September 6, 2008

Counting Down to Halloween













When I think of October, I think of falling leaves, chilly weather, sweaters...but mostly Halloween. I love Halloween. It is my second favorite holiday. And if we didn't have Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas wouldn't be nearly as fun.
As a child, I loved Halloween because I loved to dress up, go trick or treating, jump in leaves, and eat candy. Even after I graduated from trick or treating, I would plan Halloween parties with my friends and go to dances, still dressing up. I've been a witch, a cat, a princess, a mad scientist, a knocked-up white trash bride, and many other ridiculous personifications.
But I never really knew that my love of Halloween would carry into adulthood. I think I might love it more than I used to. I get nervous and jittery just thinking about getting out my fall decorations, carving pumpkins, and baking all kinds of autumn treats. I love buying Halloween candy, perusing the various stores and their fall/Halloween stuff. And I love planning my Halloween party menu, decorations, and invitations. And this year, I love thinking about dressing up my baby boy and showing him off at the parties.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

cute blog, heidi! you gotta love all those great pics from martha. i've always wanted to make those cute little orange rind jack-o-lanterns. in floral design we're going to make some sort of halloween centerpiece. i'm excited!

Kristie said...

How do you make those orange rind jack o lanterns? Those were my favorites too.
I love Halloween too. We look forward to it for months - talking about our "costume themes" is a favorite topic in this house.